Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do in the Winter time . . .

This post is in honor of my family members who groan, "How can you stand it?" after asking how hot it is here in July. It is also in honor of the author of the Primary song and the author of all of the family magazines ever published who all seem to think that every place in the world has four traditional seasons. (As the lyrics say, "Oh what do you do in the summer time when all the world is green.") Excuse me? All the world? Come now. And I have to say, it chaps my hide a bit to get my Family Fun magazine's endless winter articles about fun in the snow and endless summer articles about things to do outside. Here in the great desert of the southwest, in the Valley of the [eternal] Sun, we do not go outside in the summer unless we are swimming. So I think all of that justifies a little rubbing-in-your-face when I hear reports that it is snowing in Utah in April. Right? So here we go . . . 

Oh what do we do in the winter time when our part of the world is green?
We picnic each day, We go to the park to play, without a cloud in the sky.
If that's not what you do, please don't cry. 

Oh what do we do in the winter time when our part of the world is green?
We drink fresh lemonade, that we ourselves made, from the lemons on the tree up high.
If that's not what you do, please don't cry.

Oh what do we do in the winter time when our part of the world is green?
We go to the zoo and eat fresh citrus too that we don't even have to buy.
If that's not what you do, please don't cry.

Oh what do we do in the winter time when our part of the world is green? (or maybe not-so-green as these pics show!)
We go on a hike, and we all ride our bikes until the sun has gone down in the sky.
If that's not what you do, please don't cry. 
 

And that signals the end of my creative juices for the night. And don't worry, come September, I'll be the one crying. But right now, we're loving the months of 75 degrees.

6 comments:

Dena said...

That was GREAT!!! I really do LOVE the weather here 3/4 of the year. I'll be spending a good portion of July in UT though. ;)

Company EIGHT said...

Well, I for one am jealous of your winters! That's how I grew up, and it is still and adjustment, even after almost 9 years of living away.
I'm just praying for it to not snow for our big hunt tomorrow, lol!

Carrie said...

Very clever! I feel the same way about all the 4 season hype. The people who write all those articles are the same people who buy the "summer sweaters" I see in Eddie Bauer catalogs. Summer sweaters?! I hardly wear sweaters in the wintertime!

Madsen Family said...

I am feeling extremely jealous of your beautiful weather right about now in 29 degree upstate NY. And though your summers are very hot, at least they aren't humid! (I'm starting to wonder if there are really any perks living in the East. But then I remember: September and October--can't beat those any where else!)

mwells said...

I'm now waiting for the Gilbert AZ. version of "Once There Was a Snowman". :)

Alicia said...

I love the winters here!!