Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hand over the cheese

because I have a little (big?) whine:

I'm tired. My digestive system is not normal. My skin feels like it's going to rip. My hips hurt. I can't breathe well. My stomach/ribs/lungs are constantly being beat up. And I'm so tired. I'm HUGE and I have 7 more weeks to go.

While I'm on the subject, I feel it appropriate to give some guidance to the nonpregnant people out there:  it's not ever a good idea to assume that you know a woman's due date.  No need for comments such as, "So, a Thanksgiving baby, huh?" Um, no. Hopefully not even a Christmas one. Or comments like, "Wow, you're about ready to pop!" or "You've gotten so big." Not helpful.

And, while I'm on the subject, I feel it appropriate to give some guidance to the pregnant women out there:  it's a good idea to try to go to the gym, even when you're huge. Not only because the endorphins still come even if you climb the revolving staircase at a snail's pace but also because your fellow gym-goers will heap lavish praise upon you: "You look so great!" they will say constantly. "You're so awesome for working out!" All you have to do is be present for 30 min and you will leave feeling like you have just accomplished an amazing feat. Plus, all the weight you gain will miraculously melt off once you deliver, thanks to extra muscle from the gym. Right?! Right?!

7 comments:

Madsen Family said...

Oh, how I feel your pain. I find it RIDICULOUS that anyone comments on a pregnant woman's girth, unless said comment is to compliment it. When pregnant with Lucy I told Josh I was going to stop going to church b/c comments there were the worst.
If it means anything, and I hope it does, I think you look great! All belly--and I mean that in the best way; you're so skinny every where else (and I'm jealous of that fact because every part of me--and I mean every part--balloons when pregnant. I've reconciled myself to the fact that I am just not a cute pregnant woman). Good luck these last few weeks and here's to hoping for an early (but not too early) delivery.

Jeri said...

My favorite was with my dad in Friendlies, and he not only used your previously referenced comment on our poor waitress, but then couldn't stop there, and said something like, "Well, it must be twins, then."

My friend was in the grocery store with her newborn, and someone asked her when she was due. She pointed out the obvious, and the stranger wouldn't believe her.

Oye!

You look awesome, and I hope the end just flies by--don't hold your breath, though. I'm so sorry you have to be pregnant, and I wish I could come over and sniff that baby's head when it's born.

Go! Fight! Win!

There is a glorious prize at the end!

Lindy said...

I think you look great! With super cute shoes to boot!! Let me know how the "melting" goes.

Laura said...

I have to be honest, I don't really feel that bad for you considering this is baby number four, and this is the first time you actually look pregnant! I start getting those comments at about week 12 and I have had to endure them four times!

Rosalyn said...

You look awesome. Hang in there! I'm sure you know this, but the discomfort is worth it (and you'd much rather look big and be uncomfortable than deal with the NICU. Trust me.) I hope everything goes well.

bluestocking mama said...

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement, friends!

Company EIGHT said...

Oh gosh, the comments I've heard--I totally get it!

That said, I think you look great, seriously! Plus, you have really cute shoes. :)