Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First day of school for me too

Actually, today was my second day teaching a persuasive writing class at ASU. But the first day of a college class hardly counts, right? Just the syllabus and introductions. Blah, blah, blah. Today felt like the first day since I lectured and did in-class group work and collected assignments for the first time this semester. And it's good to be back. I forgot how much I love school and love the college atmosphere (although the college atmosphere at ASU currently involves 112 degree heat and a walk across campus, which would be why, when Mister took this pic at 4pm, 4 hours after my class, my hair is still plastered to my forehead and there's still a shine of the sweat that was.)
See the textbook I'm holding? It's "Everything's an Argument." Well, given H's treatment of my return to school, I think he's arguing against it. He did thoroughly enjoy his time hanging out with his new babysitter in the institute building (complete with ping pong balls and a basketball court--could life for H get any better?). BUT he also thoroughly protested the disruption in his schedule by refusing to nap the morning of my first day teaching and the entire day today. That's right. Just a lot of crying going on around here. Oh, and a lot of destruction. Because a no-napping H means not only do I not get anything done, but H creates even more for me to do. Case in point from this afternoon:
That would be cd and video cases, most of which also do not have their contents in them, thanks to H who likes to open each one to inspect it (and remove it).

And then there's this new development called throwing-everything-I-can-find-upstairs-off-the-landing.
There goes the Diego flashlight to join the pile.
So hopefully H adjusts quickly, seeing as how I did actually plan my 1 hr, 15 min class time for right in-between his naps. And hopefully teaching doesn't prove to be overwhelming for me. Today I could have done without the added stress of a standstill on the freeway due to a car accident, nor was losing my textbook somewhere on campus after it fell out of the stroller any fun.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Good luck this semester - I'm sure you'll be great. Love your shirt too. I hope naps and disaster making improve!

mwells said...

H knows how to get your attention. Now just be glad you don't have to bring all of your students home with you! :)

Company EIGHT said...

Good luck this semester! You will be fantastic! Oh, and that dropping things off from the landing down to the hardwood? The floor is never going to be same. I feel your pain. :)

Madsen Family said...

C, As always I am in awe of you and your mad skills. I hope teaching goes smoothly for you AND for H. He is too cute. And I'm pretty sure EVERY one year old makes messes,drops things, skips naps--no matter what his mama is up to. At least mine did.

Madsen Family said...

P.S. Did I tell you how cute you look (allegedly sweaty and all?). Some day I will be as amazing as you.