Sunday, October 2, 2011

September Recap

Is it still a "recap" if I never wrote about it in the first place? Regardless, here are some of our September happenings:

I had a birthday, shout, "Hooray!" Except that this is my first birthday where I haven't been thrilled about turning another year because 36 is getting closer to 40 and 40 is supposed to be middle-aged. But I am so young! Anyway, I celebrated with a hard workout at the gym, followed by plenty of over-eating as J and I went out to lunch while a friend watched H and as we picked up all of my birthday freebies for dinner. The following weekend, I made myself a birthday cake for our little family party, and, my Mom will be proud, I made a money cake with $3.60 in the cake in honor of my 36 years. Here's a pic of the overwrapped coins and bills (since you put them in the batter before cooking the cake, I was worried about the bills). Alas, I was not one of the lucky recipients of money in my piece of cake.
Other September happenings: J and I flew up to Utah for the weekend to watch the BYU/Uof U tragedy. Before the game, we got to go up in the press boxes and onto the field. After the game, we were in a state of depression. But the trip was not all sadness. We saw a movie, went shopping, went hiking, drove the Alpine Loop, got to stay with Chris and Allison, and met the whole family, minus Michael and Katie, at ZTejas for dinner one night. And we arrived back home to find the kids healthy and happy, thanks to Grandma and Grandpa, who came from California to watch them.
Also, in September, we have been experimenting with sleeping arrangements. Mister and Sweetie do not want to share a room anymore. (I keep telling Mister to wait 2 days until he's in with H and H destroys all of his lego creations, rips his books, and hides his money and candy and he will be begging for Sweetie to return.) But actually, I think I'm ready for the change too. I'm ready to kiss the bunkbeds good-bye for a while and not have to worry about H breaking his neck while my back is turned. If we switch around, though, I do loose the changing table (which will turn into Sweetie's dresser) and the rocking chair/recliner where we read H his books. We experimented for a while with one of the kids (or both) sleeping on the floor in H's room. H has this habit of singing at the top of his lungs for at least 45 minutes before he finally goes to sleep. I wanted to make sure that with someone in the room with him, he could stop the singing/screaming. It happened a couple of the nights, but definitely didn't the other nights, so for right now, we are holding steady and haven't made the switch yet.
And, of course, I can't forget the fact that this month, H has been Obsessed with "Do As I'm Doing" and "If You're Happy and You Know It". So we have been playing them ad nauseum. I think the nursery needs to expand their repertoire.
And, we got out the Halloween costumes. Despite evidence otherwise, H is not going to be a witchy princess. I am leaning towards garden knome. Except, do you think he'd keep the beard/hat on??


Jeri said...

Holler next time you head for Provo, we'll come say hi!

bluestocking mama said...

Jeri, where do you live now?! I'm confused . . .

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I'm loving that garden gnome costume!!

Such fun pics of your month--I especially like the one of you guys jumping on the field. :)