Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Peek at Last Week

This pretty much sums up last week:


Oh, and curriculum nights and the beginning of homework and football camp. And AYSO calling me to see if I would coach Sweetie's soccer team. I told them I'm pregnant and have a crazy 3-year-old, but it didn't stop them from calling again. Clearly my reputation for superior soccer skills precedes me. I mean, I'm sure they aren't calling every parent and begging them to coach. Right? :) Should I cave? Or is that my I-think-I-can-do-more-than-I-really-can complex acting up again? There is some appeal in the ability to choose the practice time and place . . . Oh, the dilemmas, the dilemmas.

And in random news, tonight's dinner was a pancake bar. We had chocolate pancakes with frosting, patio pancakes (healthy), Laura's cinnamon roll pancakes and buttermilk syrup, and blueberry pancakes. Can you tell which was the least popular, even with Sweetie's arm blocking the big pile of leftovers?  Everyone is pointing to their favorites.

Yes, surprisingly, it was the chocolate pancakes. But it's probably because I must have made a mistake when I wrote down the recipe because they were WAY TOO salty. I liked the patio pancakes the best, J the blueberry (surprise, surprise, Mr. No-Adventure-With-My-Food), Mister, Sweetie, and H all liked the cinnamon roll the best. Recipes?

Patio Pancakes (I halved the recipe)
Beat 3 eggs. Add 2 c buttermilk and 1 tsp vanilla.

In another bowl mix:
1 1/2 c oats
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda

Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Drop small spoonfuls onto hot, greased skillet. Serve with maple syrup.

Chocolate Pancakes
1 1/2 c flour
3 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt (DON'T actually add this much--it's too much)
6 T sugar
1 c warm milk
2 beaten eggs
2 T butter
2 sq chocolate or 3 T unsweetened cocoa and 1 T butter

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients.

Frosting Topping (I just used 1/4 c butter, softened, and then added the other ingredients to taste)
3/4 c butter
1/2 c powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla, added a few drops at a time
1/2 T hot water
Chill and spread generously on pancakes.


Buttermilk Syrup
2 cubes of butter (1 cup)
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large pot heat 1st 3 ingredients to a boiling point.  Take off heat and add last 2 ingredients.  This syrup will foam up so make sure the pan is big enough.

Laura's Cinnamon Bun Pancakes
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla

combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon with a whisk.  In a separate bowl beat together eggs, milk, corn syrup, butter and vanilla.  Stir in flour mixture.  pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle.  brown both sides.


No comments: