Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving and November poem of the month

I'm ending this week of Thanksgiving full--full of food, full of thanks. We kind of had a low-key Thanksgiving this year, which was relaxing and nice. Louie and Kathy came from California for the feast, the bulk of which was provided by Ron and Vickie and was delish.

We started Thanksgiving day off with the 10K Turkey Trot. It was such a beautiful morning--overcast and cool, perfect for running. I kept my eyes glued to the crazy lines and movements of the clouds over the desert butte in the distance and dreamed up a new painting, to be titled, "Anticipation." But back to the race. According to my watch, I ran it in 53 minutes, which beats my old time of 56 minutes, so I was excited about that. I wish it was an "official" time, though, but I was in line for the porta-a-potty (only THREE for a race of almost 3,000 people!!) and thought that since I had a timing chip, it wouldn't matter that I started late. Guess it did. My chip didn't register.

Then, we feasted. I made my usual: sweet potatoes, green slush, creamed corn, bacon-stuffed mushrooms.
Please feast your eyes on this beauty (the pies, not Ron, although is lookin' good with the whipped cream!). Ron made all 14 pies, as usual. He is the pie master. We had 6 adults and 6 children, so that's pretty good pie-to-person ratio--more than 1 pie per person, just like I like it. My fav was the strawberry rhubarb. Thanks, Ron!
After eating leftovers Friday and Sat night, we hung out in the backyard with the outdoor heater and talked and played with this big elastic piece of fabric that would slingshot people back and forth. The video is better, but I'm too lazy to upload it tonight:
So, I'll end with the poem of the month, called "Father, We Thank You," has been attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, even though The Ralph Waldo Emerson Society swears it's not by him. I found it in one of our picture books that I love to read during November. It's very simple and straightforward and doesn't need any explication, which is sometimes nice in poetry:

Father, We Thank You

For flowers that bloom about our feet,
Father, we thank You.
For tender grass so fresh and sweet,
Father, we thank You.
For song of bird and hum of bee,
For all things fair we hear or see,
Father in heaven, we thank You.

For blue of stream and blue of sky,
Father, we thank You.
For pleasant shade of branches high,
Father, we thank You.
For fragrant air and cooling breeze,
For beauty of the blooming trees,
Father in heaven, we thank You.
For rest and shelter of the night,
Father, we thank You.

For this new morning with its light,
Father, we thank You.
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Your goodness sends,
Father in heaven, we thank You.

2 comments:

Company EIGHT said...

That is an AWESOME time, congrats!

Looks like a lovely Thanksgiving!

Rosalyn said...

Catherine, I love all of the poems you post!

Also, I nominated you for a "Liebster Award" on my blog--you're welcome to pass it along (or not) as you wish!