Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Bell Still Rings for Us!

Last weekend we headed up to the Polar Express for the 7th year in a row.  I had thought that 2011 would be our last year going--either we would move or the kids wouldn't be as excited for it (too old for it?). Plus, H has been a handful on the train for the last 2 years. But we didn't move and the kids were so dismayed in October when I told them I hadn't gotten tickets yet, that I hurried and bought them. I'm so glad I did. We had a great time, despite the lack of snow and the chintzy amount of hot chocolate they served us :)

The first year we went, I remember thinking that the singing of Christmas carols on the way back from the North Pole was really cheesy. Maybe old age is catching up with me, but now I love the singing. Because nobody is self-conscious. Nobody cares if they really can carry a tune or not. Everybody just sings loudly and has fun.  And J gets so into it. No man can stand up with his arms above his head in ring-shape and belt out "5 Golden Rings" as loudly as he can. The kids love it. The only part we didn't love, of course, was the 5-people-sleeping-in-1-cheap-hotel-room experience.  (Luckily, as the mom, I know which of the kids sleeps like a log and which 2 sleep like rolling logs. I snagged the other side of Mister's bed and left J to deal with cuddle-happy H.)  Like last year, I think this may be the end of our Polar Express tradition, but who knows. I'm just grateful we took the time this year and the past 6 to be together. 










 



No comments: