Monday, April 5, 2010

Poem of the Month: April

Coming fresh out of Easter and my church's General Conference, I thought I'd be early with the poem of the month. One of the things I love about this poem is that the persona seeks the Landlord himself and goes to much effort to find Him, which for me is symbolic of how it should be in my own life. Also, the abrupt ending of this poem always impacts me. The Landlord's response is immediate, and the understatement of it contrasts with how grand and how crucial the Atonement really is.

REDEMPTION. By George Herbert

HAVING been tenant long to a rich Lord,
Not thriving, I resolved to be bold,
And make a suit unto him, to afford
A new small-rented lease, and cancell th’ old.

In heaven at his manour I him sought :
They told me there, that he was lately gone
About some land, which he had dearly bought
Long since on earth, to take possession.

I straight return’d, and knowing his great birth,
Sought him accordingly in great resorts ;
In cities, theatres, gardens, parks, and courts :
At length I heard a ragged noise and mirth
Of theeves and murderers : there I him espied,
Who straight, Your suit is granted, said, and died.

No comments: