Monday, January 23, 2012

Is it too late to talk about New Year's?

I haven't been very good at New Year's resolutions in the past few years. Not because I don't believe in goal-setting. In fact, I tend to cling to my goals a little too tightly. I love my to-do lists. I love the feeling of determining that I'm going to do something, writing it down, and then crossing it off as accomplished. But I think I need to focus less on the doing this year and more on the being. They're connected, I realize, but when I focus too much on my list, I think I tend to get caught up in the daily busyness that doesn't truly reflect the 2 things that matter the most to me in my life: (1) my relationship with my Father in Heaven and (2) my relationship with my family members. Things get cleaned and decorated (eventually!) but my relationships don't always get nurtured.

I love this quote by Neil Gaiman that Kelli shared on Segullah at the beginning of the year:


“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”
 I love that Gaiman doesn't focus on doing what needs to be done or has to be done in life. I love that his wish for us in the coming year is not that we'll do something great or accomplished. Instead, he talks of magic and madness, reading and loving and creating and living. Reading his quote makes me excited about the possibilities of this new year.
And here are a couple of links that I liked for the New Year:

No comments: